History of Grey House Publishing Canada
In November 2006, Grey House Publishing purchased the directory business from Micromedia ProQuest and decided to keep the business in Canada by opening the doors to Grey House Publishing Canada, a Canadian corporation and wholly owned subsidiary of Grey House Publishing, an American company based out of Amenia, New York, located two hours north of New York City.
Grey House Publishing is a privately held corporation owned by Richard Gottlieb and Leslie Mackenzie that started over 35 years ago with one title, Directory of Mail Order Catalogs. Today, Grey House Publishing has over 150 titles in its publishing portfolio, boasting the majority of its title growth over the last 10 years. The company produces and publishes information products in the business, health, statistical, and demographic fields. It publishes leading information products covering the Mail Order, Food & Beverage, Venture Capital, and Security industries, as well as several databases in the Health and Education fields. All Grey House publications are available in print and most are also available via subscription online databases, e-books and customized, downloadable databases.
Grey House Publishing Canada is a database publisher and its flagship directory, Canadian Almanac & Directory, published since 1847, remains the major resource for authoritative information that Canadian libraries, government offices and businesses have come to rely on for statistics, demographics and contact information. Stemming from this powerful database, Associations Canada, Libraries Canada, Canadian Parliamentary Guide, Governments Canada, Canadian Environmental Resource Guide and Financial Services Canada provide immediate access to need-to-know information on these important government or industry segments.
Timeline of Grey House Publishing Canada
- Careers & Employment Canada becomes available on CIRC, our online platform.
- The first edition of Major Canadian Cities is published.
- The first edition of Health Guide Canada is published.
- Grey House Publishing becomes the publisher of the print editions of the H.W. Wilson product line.
- Grey House Publishing becomes publisher & distributor of the print editions of Salem Press.
- New website headers are created for a new look and feel, unifying the brands across North American operations
- Maclean's magazine references Canadian Parliamentary Guide
as a resource when analyzing cabinet positions over the last 50 years in their cover story,
“How Ottawa Runs on Oil”
- Canadian Who's Who becomes a licensed database to be published on CIRC
- Governments Canada back in print after an eight year hiatus
- Saskatchewan Legislative Library opens time capsule from 1909 on Canada AM and finds a
Canadian Almanac & Directory inside
- 165th edition of Canadian Almanac & Directory is published with recognition and a
letter from the Prime Minister’s office
- New managing editor, Tannys Williams joins the company
- Bryon Moore, General Manager, is a guest panellist at Digital Book Printing forum hosted by InterQuest,
held at Ryerson University
- Southern Ontario Library Service recognizes the company as a tier 2 vendor for its members
- Canadian sales of Bowker print product line added to product offerings
- Changed the name of Directory of Libraries in Canada to Libraries Canada
- Changed the name of the Canadian Environmental Directory to Canadian Environmental
- Office is moved from Toronto’s Financial District at 20 Victoria St. to the Fashion District
at 555 Richmond St. West
- Canadian Almanac & Directory is reorganized and four new sections are added;
Transportation, Religion, Sports and Utilities
- Granted the exclusive license to publish the Canadian Parliamentary Guide
- Successful launch and seamless migration of customers from Micromedia CIRC platform to
the new Grey House Publishing Canada CIRC platform
- First publication of Grey House Publishing Canada is Associations Canada
- November 20